Wednesday, October 31, 2012

To, Too, and Two


 Let’s face it, there is nothing too exciting about “to, too, and two.” Although alike in sound, these words have different meanings, and whether it’s fun or not, it’s important to know how to differentiate between them. If all else fails, turn to youtube. Not only can youtube provide us with funny cat videos, surprise engagement proposals (that no boyfriend to follow could ever live up to), and teenage singing sensations like Justin Bieber, but it can also be a fun approach to learning grammar.

 

 

The word “to” can be used as a preposition of movement or direction, it can be used to mean ‘receive,’ and can also be used in conjunction with times. Some examples of these being used can be seen below:

-          I will walk to the bakery.

-          I would like to go to Paris.

-          The restaurant is open from 4:00pm to 11:00pm.

 
The word “too” is used to mean “very” or “also.” The proper use of "too," is shown in the following examples:

-          I ate too much.

-          They are coming too.

 
Let’s hope that there aren’t too many people who get this “two” wrong. I realize the confusion, but I am hopeful that this will clear everything up. The word “two” is used only for the number. Here’s an example:

-          Who ate my last two donuts?

 
There are too many rules to follow when learning English grammar. I feel as though I need to take a break every two minutes just to get through it. 

While this hasn’t been my most enthralling post, I am hopeful that the proper use of these words is a little clearer. Call me crazy, but they seem important, considering we use them in most of our everyday sentences. If nothing else, you’ve picked up a few ideas of what to check out on your next youtube surf. You’re welcome!
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment